Rainbow Village

Hi Blog,

Continuing to Day 5 in Taiwan, we arrive at our final destination in our itinerary. No more stress from winding roads—just time to chill and relax.

A beautiful day suggests smooth sailing ahead.
Time to go for a simple shopping trip before we returned to Singapore.


Looking back at the mountains, I hope I will come back again.
Reflecting on my trip to Taiwan and consulting the map, it appeared that traveling from Puli to Taichung would take more than two hours.
My last goodbye to the mountain...
...before I closed my eyes. Time to rest my mind for now...
I told the driver to stop by near Taichung Earthquake Museum (since it was along the way) because...
...I'm interested in exploring the abandoned places near the earthquake site.
A bit of the urbex experience that got in me.
Many residents have left this area due to instability or the lack of proper earthquake studies and precautions.
Vintage old tile window
Re-enactnment of a movie - the Grudge!
One of the scenes in the movie - the Grudge/Juon
Viney here
I entered one of the houses...
I stopped here... Something told me to stop here.
I should stop here and exited the house. Thank you for telling me to.
Am I allowed to explore outside? Yes, I am allowed to.
Spotted a familiar creature, beautiful :)
I would end my short urbex here. Ah... Feeling refreshing now.
After our tasty lunch, the driver suggested bringing us to somewhere interesting...
He suggested that we should visit Rainbow Village 彩虹眷村.
The summary provided by the driver, along with a brief online search, reveals that this Rainbow Village has a truly inspiring history.
The history of these vibrant and loudly colored paintings is rooted in the single-handed effort of an elderly resident who painted his only home to prevent eviction amid urban development. I may not know the elder personally, but his resolve was so strong that it seemed to move Heaven itself, granting him his sole desire—a place to call home. At 15, he enlisted in the army to combat the Japanese during WWII. Following the Communist victory, his unit withdrew to Taiwan, where he served as a security guard and resided in a village until he was 86 years old, in 2010. When he received an order to vacate his only home, he refused to leave. This eviction notice reawakened a long-dormant memory, and he began to paint once more, reviving the skills his father had taught him as a child.
(Credit SJ) One day, a student from a local university passed by, enquired and was inspired by his story. She informed her professors and initiated a petition to protect this valuable cultural art, ensuring the elder could preserve his only home.


Some videos which you can have a better understanding of how he started and challenges he faced while saving his only home.
I saw a musician dressed as Iron Man who takes requests to dedicate songs if he knows them. Don't you feel hot inside the helmet?
You can selfie with him.
He took my phone and helped us.
And created an interesting shot! We love it!
(Credit SJ) Honestly, the place was crowded, and I wasn't in the mood for photos, but I reminded myself to uplift and manage my emotions to enjoy the moments.
Honestly, the artwork here might not appear as impressive as that of other so-called artists; however, art is about the expression and the message conveyed by the artist.
With simple lines and colors, a powerful expression and message are conveyed: the elderly simply seek a home. It's akin to a little child who grabs a drawing tool and begins to scribble on the wall, delighting in the pure joy of drawing.
(Credit SJ) Understanding the history of Rainbow Village, the challenges it faced, and the reasons it drew tourists, it's clear that the village will never be the same. With the departure of its main pillar, the wall paintings will no longer be renewed and sooner it will be taken over by some commercial companies' artwork. This place will lose its essence... What a pity.
Today's visit prompted me to reflect on the things I cherish. Before I close my eyes, I wonder... Have I ever done anything good for others, served Heaven, and learned more about myself?

Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment