Closing Golden Mile Complex

Hi Blog,

I read it somewhere that Golden Mile Complex (also known as Little Thailand) was closing for redevelopment before 11th May 2023. WS invited me to join his team to explore that place. Usually, I only visit that place for Malaysia bus coach services and other than that, I don't go there for food or any. It will be a great opportunity to have a closer look at it.

The morning sky seemed gloomy and since we would be inside the building it wouldn't affect us.
You may read more about this place its redevelopment news and interesting information. Here, I won't cover much of the history or any useful information about Golden Mile because there are other websites which did better than me; I only journal my last visit there without any proper writing.



Golden Mile Tower waved at us in the distance. Hiii! Golden Mile.
Usually, I came to Golden Mile (Little Thailand), was at night, and barely had a chance to have a good look at this unique building - Yellow paint, unusual building structure slacking each level like a rice field terrace formation, and a mixture of residential, corporate offices, market, restaurants, pubs, massages and services... All under one roof.
Besides Golden Mile Complex, Golden Mile Tower was located next to it.
Because of the redevelopment plan before 11th May, most of the stores had closed down.
Except for a few... As you can see many empty spaces above... Sooner, there would be more.
In Singapore, there are streets for Chinese (Chinatown), Malay (Kampong Glam and Geylang Serai), Indian (Little India) and Eurasian (hmm like those rich areas?) As for the Thai, this building seemed like a little space to make them feel at home.
I thought that I could bring this durian back but it was large and heavy. Maybe I will just imagine myself feasting this, do you want some as it doesn't smell.
When we look at a building in this state, reminds me that everything has to go through four phases of life (Chinese ways of saying birth 生, growing 老, decline 病, death 死); even non-living things like a building also have their life cycle.
It started to decline...
Sad yet I understand it is part of a cycle for everything. Nothing can escape those four phases of life.
Hmm... honestly, this place looked unfamiliar to me. I can't relate to this place that much as I don't go to pubs, food or whatever here regularly.
But this pub left a deep impression on me because of its entrance.
First stop in Golden Mile - this rusty and retro mailbox.
Looking along these mailboxes...
Feeling like the time seemed to stop
Since 1966, the design was definitely classic.
(Credit WS) Oh! WS was taking photos, which reminded me that I was in the present.
(Credit WS) Hmm... But somehow I was still stuck in the past...
The CCTV was watching us here.
(Credit WS) This mailbox space was unique here as you can't find this anymore in Singapore (unless there are some older buildings out there)
OOO! A dirty massage chair. Hahaha, I have never used such a massage chair myself before. I just pretended to enjoy the massage service.
Checking some massage service stalls and it was vacant-cleaned.
We looked around for any stall which still yet moved out.
Some small pharmacy stores. I wanted to buy something here but... I realised that... I DIDN'T bring my wallet. Hahaha... 
Oh hi! Ladies!
Spot one barbershop still in service before it was gone. I couldn't take the interior because the lady boss was staring at us.
Speaking of retro, You don't find these kinds of tiles anymore.
Walking along the corridor... looking out for any remaining shophouses.
Check out these office doors, that wooden handle for pushing or pulling; was one of the old designs from the past.
Speaking of older design or layout, this rubbish duct definitely... Need to change... Just too OMG!
There were plants' roots found creeping within the cracks and it seemed like it got out of control.
I guess this area is a dumping area.
Someone discarded a massage chair, can massage me there?
Oh my! The staircases here had a strong urine smell to show how territory and uncivilized that alpha brainless male can be... It was too much, I was about vomit.
The first three floors of the Golden Mile served visitors commercially, these were the levels we know about Golden Mile. Let's explore somewhere else!
Let's take the lift to go all the way to the top floor where the residents stay. There was a completely different vibe.
The circle window was one of the common features of the building exteriorly.
(Credit WS) We just stood there checking out the scene which we don't get to see daily.
Anyway, let's stay focused. These top floors were rather quiet... We were wondering if is it an office or residential space?
From the unique door handles for every household here, it had a lot of strong Nyonya style or whatever style it is, explained two things (personal opinion) either the architect loved Nyonya or had a strong Nyonya heritage background or... Just a style.
Looking at this angle, that yellow staircase looked like a machined face
ooooh! A vacant unit! Thanks Heaven for such an opportunity.
Hmmm... Was this a small kitchen? The funny thing was that it was placed right at the entrance?! Oooh! I understand how works. The door that we entered, was the side door. The main door was locked (Check the previous picture again)
The next room was like a storeroom for the kitchen.
Typical look of a toilet.
What got us excited, was this large living room!
A large display shelf was left behind when the whole family vacated.
ooo! Yippee! Balcony!
What a beautiful scene
I can't believe that I can be here witnessing this.
(Credit WS) Thanks for helping me.
Four rooms here
Can I stay in one of these rooms? I just need one room will do. I love this kind of flooring. Anyone knows the actual name of this flooring type?
Wow! still have a bathtub! :D
This family who stayed here really took good care of this place very well. Most furniture was well-used.
After the short trip in that unit and looking out, there were many floors downward. This was the unique feature of Golden Mile, each level of this building was stacked like a rice field terrace.
And each floor showed a different thing.
After the richest from the top, this floor seemed like a typical unit house.
Even the staircases here looked differently (maybe was the window).
As we explored further, we tried to check into the houses, it seemed like a simple elongated unit, like houses in the past.
Hmm, it seemed like, the lower each floor goes; shows a certain level of economic status like an economic pyramid - the rich will be at the top and the poor at the bottom... Just like how the Titanic ship was built or how the world works...
WS was busy aiming his camera downward, trying to capture the scene below.
Ah, I didn't know there was a space like a badminton court available in Golden Mile.
Oooo! It was kind of spacious!
As you can see, each floor was getting smaller and smaller inward.
(Credit WS) The only support to make this building concept possible was from these yellow pillars. Respect the architect for thinking this ahead for having safety included in the concept.
Looking downward, there were some more floors.
What amazed me, is plants are trying to survive out of these drainages here... 
(Credit WS) looked like the whole world was spinning.
(Credit WS) but I will try to stand firm on the ground...
Looked around...
With these supporting pillars, won't have any tragedy...
The same goes for my own emotions... I must remember that I need to trust those life pillars that I have in my soul.
After a few photos here and there, we started to notice signage of "no photography" and it looked rather new hahaha! Oops.
Hmm... This floor (same level) as the badminton court...
...looked like an office space.
Such a unique gate was not looked like a residential area or a prison cell.
Ooooo! As I looked out, there was a swimming pool in this complex?! Wah! let's go down and take a look!
Beneath the badminton court was a small pyramid-like structure for office space. This long passage somehow emerged a potential Halloween night vibe. How I wished I can do up a scare house like this.
Looks like a small office... I will like to stay in a place like my own room. Hahaha. If need to bath, I will go to the swimming pool and use public toilet.
Sorry I was daydreaming. I know it won't work that way because the cost of office space might be pricey.
Hmmm... Weird. We bumped into one open door and that did not look like an office.
...and it was empty. As I had mentioned, it can become a living space. Who knows it might actually serve as a living space?! I closed the gate so that no one else can come in.
Interesting layered for ventilation. 
Hmmm... we checked one of the corners... It looked like a disposal area but stayed with people who try to survive within the crack of the economical requirement.
Ooooo... We were so near and we couldn't cross over there as the door was locked. I overheard there was a voluntary tour guide bringing people around the Golden Mile Complex explaining its history; they mentioned that this pool was underutilised and was closed since 1998.
This window reminded me of one of the horror manga by Junji Ito
Like this. Hahaha. It is an interesting manga that you should not miss. You can click here for more.
As we moved down further... Many companies had already moved out.
Here, there were support pillars too.
A unique staircase which I need to climb sideways than downwardly.
If I looked up from the bottom, I won't know above the office is a residential floor.
Oooo! This floor was special. It was air-conditional!
Found a mountain of folder stacking here. Didn't know it can be stacked so neatly.
This circle was one of the iconic features in Golden Mile.
Each office's window was circled.
The residential area and office area's corners (Same location as the residential disposal area above) were so different.
Here an unknown statue under a banyan tree. I tried to google it but no result was found.
Looking up from the swimming pool... Sigh... Sad that we couldn't enter...
Alright, I think we had covered most of the areas in the complex...
...time to cross over to Golden Mile Tower. Here had many signage that they were closing down.
WS and his friends brought me to a unique private cinema - The Projector. Oh my! The retro classic vibe they have here! Amazing! I would like to watch movies here in future. Check out the nostalgic table which my grandparents used to place their children's photos beneath the glass as if, the time was sealed in the glass.
(Credit WS) Long time since I have never done my levitation shot.
On top of the car park, there were many unique vehicles which I have yet seen before.
I wondered what are they for? For Sale? Will I be able to see them on the road sooner???
Speaking of vehicles... There are many vintage vehicles hiding here!
My favourite! :D
Just classic! Can they still drive this out?
oooo! I still can remember seeing these types of cars when I was young.
This one looked well preserved.
Looked at the license plate! Red-yellow in colour... Based on Google, White characters with a horizontal red and yellow background stand for Vintage and Classic Vehicles.
(Credit WS) Oooo! WHITE CAR! My favourite colour scheme!
If I was rich, I will drive a vintage car for sure. A Volkswagen Kombi will be fun!
Back from the car park, we were back to "The Projector" cinema. The spiral staircase was beautiful to look at.
Especially it has this "No signal test tv screen"!
Feeling nice to live through the era which had everything.
WS and friends told me before I returned home, I must visit the projector's toilet, and I can understand why... It was filled with movie posters!
I dare not want to decorate my room like that but it was certainly a unique taste to do so.
Overall, visiting Golden Mile Complex was an experience which I won't want to miss before it was gone. By now or after 11th May, it will be gone... I will keep these as a unique golden memory. I do not like the idea of segregation between the rich and the poor... but I guessed... the idea of having segregation of residential, office, service, food and entertainment; all under one root like a rice field terrace, was creative and that was why people will prefer the redevelopment can preserve such feature in the NEW Golden Mile Complex.

Goodbye, Golden Mile Complex, you will be missed and I hope to see a new you.

Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment