Forgotten Jurong Crocodile Reptile Park

Hi Blog,

To continue from my previous trip, exploring an unknown closed factory (here), WS suggested exploring one more place nearby. Jurong Hill and Jurong Crocodile Reptile Park. After we were near there, the former Bird Park was near too. We wondered, can we enter or not?

As we stood in front of the closed and highly secured Bird Park entrance I looked up; I didn't notice that there was such beautiful stained glass before. At least, I got to see it before it was gone.
Since it was closed and let's give that place a bit of time, I would love to visit there again. Then next was to visit Jurong Hill.

We went to the toilet to wash up the red dust on my shoes and face. Oh my, it was dusty. The toilet paper couldn't last long as it was very dusty.
Anyway, let's not waste time, we hurry up to climb up the hill because the afternoon sun was very hot.
As we were about to reach the hill... We were stopped by the guard as this hill was closed for renovation. Haha, I thought they didn't allow vehicles to enter but were okay with walk-in visitors; but I guessed that I was blind as I wanted to visit Jurong Hill again.
Then we proceeded to explore a small quiet mall where only a seafood restaurant and prawn-catching places were there. We spotted a carebear sitting there, waiting to care for me. Thanks, Carebear, my childhood cartoon character.
And a velociraptor sculpture - quite well done; to be honest
Anyway, we explored a bit and found the way to the destination. (And I forgot to snap pictures along the way)
OOOO! Here was the JGRP stage where they had crocodile performances.
Now looking through the older video documentation of this park, I feel so nostalgic
for part two of the video, feels old
This place was closed in 2006 since 1959.
(Credit WS) And I had not heard anything about this park at all. Even the former Bird Park, which I only managed to visit in 2021 (link) before it closed in 2023. (It started its operation in 1971)
Most businesses will face the same fate if their business were stagnant...
(Credit WS) Now the visit seemed like just a re-collection and imagination...
It was like my "last visit" to this place before it was gone.
From the start when this place was filled with visitors of all ages and slowly... dying off in number... and now... no more.
Let's explore another place.
Hmmm... something was interesting afar.
Oooo! This one was the mini cave for reptiles - Vivarium.
Hmm... Entering the dark vivarium...
This place, they tried to make it like a cave-like vivarium.
Rocky and dark... I wondered, was it this dark in the past? I doubt so. I saw there is a tube light at the ceiling so I believe this place was well-lit.
Right in the centre of the vivarium, there was a plant root grown and taking over the place.
(Credit WS) This place was quite spacious in the past relatively.
I would prefer this vivarium to be in the dark rather than lit.
I checked the tanks and wondered will I still find some reptiles here?
The back of these tanks. Must be warm here.
Even the texture of the tank resembled the typical reptile skin.
(Credit WS) This place gave me the vibe of an explorer. Thanks, WS for bringing his torch if not, I doubt I will be taking any pictures here.
Look at the fake stalactites which might try their best to fake the scene and suddenly, I felt dizzy and when I woke up...
(Credit WS) I noticed that I was in some crystal tank.
(Credit WS) I was confused about where or how I got here,
(Credit WS) Oh no! I was trapped!
(Credit WS) Am I going to be trapped here forever?
(Credit WS) WS! WS! Are you there! Nooooo!
As I opened my eyes... I was not trapped and...
... I was at the exit of the vivarium. I was surely having fun here which I doubt I will be able to have if I came alone. And furthermore, my camera batteries were drained... So no more pictures for me now.
WS told me this place was used to keep crocodiles and where they were fed openly.
(Credit WS) I was helping to snap some pictures for WS
I hope he will like it...
Overall, visiting JCRP was unexpected and fun. Really have to credit WS for his great photography skills and willingness to snap for me too. I was glad that today was a fruitful trip.

On 20th May 2023 when I went to Tuas TV (link) I brought my friends to this place again. Then I realised that there were some places I missed out.

I found out that on the other side of the stage, there was a large enclosure with glass windows.
Getting algae-ish as no one was maintaining it.
Looking through this stained glass and "seeing" the spirit of crocodiles bathing and lazing around.
Now... It was filled with soil to prevent it from becoming a mosquito display tank.
There was a divider at this enclosure...
Outside the enclosure, there was an information sign about the difference between alligator and crocodile. I believed this enclosure was to showcase the difference between the two hence it was divided.
Besides the enclosure, there was like a shophouse.
Quite spacious and it might be a merchandise store.
Checking myself in the mirror, do I look good, mirror on the wall?
(credit P) Now I am struck in the store and put up for display. Any taker to take me out?
A piece of warning if we were near the stage.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment